Friday, May 23, 2008

Working Overtime

I know that technically speaking I'm in Geneva to work; to gain valuable experience that I can use for years to come. This internship is an important addition to my resume but somehow I feel entitled to work the minimum amount possible while still appearing somewhat productive. That's wrong I know but in reality I'm paying for this internship so I shouldn't be required to work the long hours that my coworkers work, right? Wrong. My boss could care less. If I have to work 12 hours a day then so be it. Help me now. However on a positive (and rather random) note, work gave me a cell phone. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with it, but it made me feel slightly more important than the peon I am. I'll take what I can get.

In other news I will soon be posting a video of the new toilet we had installed at work. It's a self-disinfecting toilet that is craaaaazy. The seat twists around and looks like rubber. Hard to describe but a video will tell all. Stay tuned.

Today also was Colleen's birthday so we (me, Nina, and some other people through her program) ate and drank at a British pub called Mr. Pickwick's. Naturally everyone (even the bartenders and waitresses were English). I had a large glass of cider, Strongbow, to be exact. When I lived in the UK more than a few summers ago, Strongbow was my favorite beverage. The first time I was drunk (drunk drunk and stumbling around) I had a glass and a half of the stuff. Good times. Anyway this place was fabulous (in the sense that I felt like I was back at Oxford) and not living in an unwelcome French-speaking city. Unfortunately I cut the night short because I had to catch the last train back to my apartment. I'm growing fond of the train station, as I should since I'm there everyday. It has everything you need, shopping and food and atms. Also, since it's Switzerland, chocolate is everywhere. I discovered a little cookie/dessert at the chocolate place that I pass by everyday. The cookies are called Snobys. Hard to describe but oh so scrumptious. I'm sure I'll develop diabetes soon if I don't stop buying them. They look like meringue cookies but they're not. They're two cake-like but crusty cookies with a whipped creamy center. Yum. Pistachio is my fave.

TGIF, which means I get to sleep in tomorrow. Sweet.

Ciao.

No comments: