Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Day Two

So today, not so good. But here are some lessons learned:

Lesson 1: Do not walk to Geneva from apartment (round trip = 8 miles) in Chacos.

Lesson 2: When grocery shopping, weigh fresh fruit and vegetables and then get the price tag that the weigher machine spits out to avoid humiliation (the clerk and the people enjoyed my stupidity by laughing at me. I think they were also saying "stupid American.")

Lesson 3: Do not attempt to carry groceries back to apartment.

Lesson 4: McDonald's does not take credit cards.

Lesson 5: Cinq (which is French for 5) is not pronounced sink.

On the bright side, the people at the office asked if I could wait until Friday to start. That gives me one extra day to try and figure out how exactly to get there. Also I think they will be closed on Monday, and if that's the case, Interlaken here I come. Maybe I'll be better at trying to speak German.

On another note, the public transportation in Geneva is great with one exception. It's f***ing confusing. Don't get me wrong, Geneva has sidewalks and bike paths galore, buses, trams, trains and taxi's. But just trying to figure out the train system gives me a headache. I've been to Paris, London and even Buenos Aires where the subway/train system is incredibly simple and easy to follow. I wish Geneva would attempt to replicate those systems. Wishful thinking I guess.

I purchased a monthly train pass, which I *think* means I can ride anywhere in Geneva numerous times a day for a month without having to purchase a ticket. I'm sure I'll get on the train tomorrow for the first time and show the conductor my nifty pass and he'll say, "that's not a ticket, get off."

Anywho. I'm excited for Nina to get here. Having someone else to share this entirely different (and scary) experience will be nice. For those who don't know, Nina is my roomie for the summer, we found each other online and she'll be interning at the U.N. But she doesn't arrive until next Friday. I think things also will get better when I start working. Although leaving at 7 a.m. to arrive on time sounds not so fun. Regardless English is the primary language at work, yay!

Au revoir.

No comments: