Monday, May 12, 2008

I've Lost Count........


Yesterday was chilly and rainy so I didn't venture out into the city and instead chose to spend my day indoors. However it didn't start raining until after I got to the main train station so I decided to pick up some groceries at the train station. As I'm standing in line with my little basket full of goodies I notice a sign that says the store doesn't accept bills over 10 francs. Fantastic. I was planning to break my 100. I try to look for a credit card machine and there's none in sight. So long goodies. I got out of line and put all my groceries back on the shelf :-( Also I couldn't find an exit so I narrowly slipped past someone as they were paying. Grocery shopping = BAD news.

Today however was probably the best day I've had so far in Geneva. My friend Colleen, who was in my Social Entrepreneurship course at IU, is working for an NGO here in Geneva and she arrived late last night. So we arranged to meet up, grab a bite for lunch, and discover the city together.

We met at the train station and ventured toward the lake in search of *cheap* food, which is difficult to find. We found a little stand selling croque monsieur, which is a toasted ham and cheese sandwich, sweet! A simple little ham and cheese sandwich slapped on a grill and a can of coke cost me about 10 francs and today the exchange rate for US dollars and Swiss francs were even so it cost $10.

Just for your information, Geneva is the 7th most expensive city in the world, according to a 2007 CNN article.

Moving on to better things....after our ham and cheese sandwiches we walked up and down the right bank of Lac Leman (otherwise known as Lake Geneva). It was a gorgeous, sunny, 70-degree afternoon and it's a national holiday today so lots of people were out and about. Colleen still seemed overwhelmed since she only arrived last night and I remembered how very overwhelmed I was too so we decided to go grocery shopping together.

Well I don't think I've told you but shops close usually by 7 or 8 each night. Most are not open on Sundays and hardly ever on holidays. So the Migros grocery store was closed of course. Instead we went back to her place, which is a dorm for the Cite Universite.

I'm glad I'm staying where I am.

Then we decided to ride the bus (a first for me) back to the main train station. On a side note, the public transportation system is nice and very widespread and accessible. But the weird thing is....no one EVER checks tickets. I've not once been asked for my monthly pass (that cost me 45 francs) on the train and I've ridden the train probably more than 20 times. I think my monthly pass is good for all public transportation, but the key word is think. Colleen didn't have enough change to purchase a ticket so she chanced riding the bus and train without a ticket. It worked. I feel like you could get away with riding the transport system without buying a ticket or pass all around town for a year and never get caught, but I'm not taking any chances. I should also note that the train isn't like the Tube in London where you buy your ticket and feed it through the machines just to get onto the platform, it's a free for all in Geneva.

Anywho. We bought a pizza and some drinks at the grocery store in the train station (luckily this time I had 10s and 20s) and wandered back to my apartment for dinner.

It was soooooooo nice to have someone to talk to, whine to, laugh with, who is in the same situation. Like I said, last week was rough but this week I'm feeling proud of my accomplishments. I did it, by myself, with absolutely no help from anyone. Impressive Sara impressive.

Tomorrow is my 2nd day of work and I'll finally meet up with my boss (who I've only met once in Indianapolis. Cross my fingers.

Au revoir.

No comments: